Friday, February 8, 2013

The World Is Calling

It is official! I am taking a career break and traveling the world for a year!!  Many of you have asked how did this happen? How are you financing the trip? What about your job? Well....it was all very simple and I was quite fortunate. No, I did not win the lottery or inherit a fortune from a rich relative. It was much simpler. In November, I was informed the company had conducted global alignment of all positions. My job was downgraded. I was offered to stay in my position with no growth opportunities or to take a severance package. I could not believe what I heard.  They were handing me my dream on a silver platter!!  I was shocked. I was planning the trip before they had the offer on the table. There was never a question of what I wanted to do. Only what I should do. I wanted to follow my heart but my head was going through all the "what if's." I was shocked as I confided in friends and family and they immediately asked "Where are you going first?"  I had one month to make a decision. Obviously, I decided to follow my heart, take the severance package and plan the trip of a lifetime.
I realize a solo around the world trip does not make sense to many people. I am walking away from a successful career in a slow economy.  It may not seem logical, safe or normal.  Some of you will find this to be reckless, selfish and dangerous.  It is gutsy.  But what is a woman to do when a blessing is handed to her on a silver platter? This is my dream. It is time for a change. I am shifting my perspective and opening myself up to new possibilities. I am open to new cultures, the way I think, where my life is headed and how I spend my time. I am ready to experience all life has to offer, learn new languages, explore and develop new talents and breathe in life. I have decided to let life happen. I am hungry for this change. It know it will be hard. I will have lonely days.  Things will go wrong.   I will get lost.  Believe me, the fear is real. It is a rock in the pit of my stomach sometimes. But, the fear does not last long. It is replaced by joy. I have never been happier. I am at peace with my decision. No second thoughts. I know the success of this journey depends on me.  If I am not having fun, it is me. Nobody else. I will adapt and change.  I am putting trust in my abilities and the kindness of strangers. I have faith it will be an amazing adventure! I refuse to allow fear and responsibilities to get in the way of my dreams.  I am letting go of all the things I am supposed to do and living my life to the fullest.  I know that no matter where I go, each of you are with me. You are always with me. My family and friends give me love, support and confidence to explore and enjoy the freedom of  travel.  Thank you for sharing this journey with me.  Hugs and love to you all!

10 comments:

  1. Aww this is beautiful Michelle!! I'm sure you will have a wonderful adventure and make lots of great memories!! Wish you all the best and can't wait to follow along in your adventures!! - Masooma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so envious, jealous and full of joy for you. How great is it to do something just for you! Have a wonderful, safe trip...much love and prayers sent your way. Karla Nelson Oppedisano

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been this proud of you....my sister!!!! With tears streaming down my face, I am so happy for you and so proud of who YOU are!!!!! You are documenting this making it our journey too!!! Thank you and we love you !!!!

    Kristin, Tim
    Kenzie & Jax

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will have no issues meeting people and making life long friends. What an experience! What a treat for all of us too, we all will be traveling with you. Enjoy this time!! I wish you safe travels. Can't wait to take this journey with you!!! Carol Staffenhagen

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG... you had me hooked on your blog in the first paragraph. I can't wait to live vicariously through you. Have fun and live life. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think many years from now when you look back on this time in your life you will be so glad you followed your heart and embarked on this great adventure. I am happy for you! I can't wait to read your updates and follow along as you explore the world. I hope your trip will be everything you wish it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, Michelle! I admire your courage. My best to you as you as you look, experience and discover! I'll be watching from the sidelines to enjoy vicariously. You will certainly be missed. Keith

    ReplyDelete
  8. How does it feel to be at home on a Monday with no meeting to attend and no bosses to report to? =D

    Soooooo happy for youuuuuu~

    Jennifer C.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle, I wish you safe and happy travels. I am excited to read your blog as I live, eat, and breathe travel. One day I will also hit the road and live the same dream!! Good luck! Marsha Calvo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Daniel! It was the best decision I have ever made. I am starting my 5th month now and don't have any regrets. SE Asia has been safe and easy to travel...even for a solo woman. If you are thinking about a trip like this I would tell you to put together a plan and go for it! The world is full of wonderful people and amazing sights. You never know what is around the next corner. Happy travels to you!

    ReplyDelete